Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rest, Grace and a Tonsillectomy

My 3-year-old son, Noah had his tonsils out on Monday morning. The wild ride started about 6AM and is well into Day 4. He's doing very well considering the inside of his throat looks like raw meat. It's taught me a few things -

Rest - I've been at home this whole week (except yesterday for church and prayer meeting). I didn't realize how tired I was. I'm getting work done but I've also rested a lot. I needed this week although I hate the circumstances. I wish I could have this week without my son going through this ordeal.

Grace - My son does not comprehend pain management. It hurts to swallow but he has to take medicine. Every 5 hours is a battle of epic proportions to get him to take medicine. He doesn't understand the correlation between swallowing the liquid and the relief it will bring in 30-45 minutes. It has taught me to be patient with him. It's given me a great perspective of God's grace and patience toward us. He asks us to trust Him, even when it hurts for a moment. Knowing that the momentary hurt will produce a great relief.

"For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

No comments: